Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Lauren's How To: Make Floral Hair Pins

I was in The Perfect Bride in Rocky River with my sister when she was getting measured for her bridesmaid dress when I stumbled upon this pretty hair flower.
I instantly fell in love with the flower, and wanted to get one for each of my bridesmaids to wear at the reception - something different to set a party atmosphere. The only problem was each flower was priced at $75.

I decided that I was going to try to replicate this flower on my own with a little creative DIY project.

First I went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought - fabric, pearl beads, glass beads and thread.


I then cut out a pattern for the flowers.

I pinned the pattern of the flower to the fabric and cut the shape out. I did more than one layer of fabric at a time to make sure every pins flowers matched (plus it takes less time ;) )


I then removed the pattern and arranged the flowers the way I wanted the hair pin to look.

With the thread I bought, I strung the pearls and the glass beads on one at a time. For each flower I used two glass beads, two larger pearls, and two little pearls.

Once I was done stringing the beads, the hair pin was done!

I continued this same process 5 times until I made one for each of them.

Now I will attach this flower to a hair pin, and they will be set.

So you may be wondering, did she end up doing it for less than $75 (and I really hope you didn't think it would cost anywhere near that amount...)

The grand total of this project for each flower hair pin......... $3.25. So I made all 5 for less than $20. I love DIY projects! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment